With a name like Bechamel, your friends will be impressed!
This sauce is quick and easy to make. Plus, it tastes FANTASTIC!
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 1/4 cups milk
Nutmeg (fresh grated)
1. Pour milk in small saucepan and warm on low.
2. Melt butter in another saucepan on medium low.
3. Add flour and whisk for two minutes or so (but don’t brown the mixture like I did the first time I tried making the sauce.)
4. Add the milk.
4a. I added the milk all at once and was pleased with the results.
4b. However, others suggest adding the milk more slowly to avoid the formation of lumps. Gordon Ramsay adds the milk in 1/3 at a time.
5. Continue whisking as the mixture comes to a boil.
6. Season with salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg.
7. All done! Add more milk if sauce has become too thick.
8. Top with wax paper to prevent skin formation.
Inspired by Epicurious and Gordon Ramsay.
Howdy! We are a two-sister writing team in sunny Arizona. We are authors, photographers, and Woof Trekkers. Read our blog for posts about food, positivity, pets, self-publishing, and travel.