We have previously posted several banana based recipes: Banana Chocolate Chip Scones, Banana Oatmeal Muffins, even dog treats. We have also featured our “Best” Banana Bread. However, the previous recipe for the “Best” Banana Bread has been dethroned as the “Best.” We still love that recipe but the one we are sharing today is even better.
Our new, favorite banana bread has walnuts in it, we had NO idea what we were missing out on! Use a food processor to pulse your nuts to get them finely chopped but be careful not to over process or you won’t be able to taste them in the bread.
Another lesson we have finally learned is lining the loaf pan with parchment paper before pouring the batter in. This makes the removal so much easier and you no longer have to hold your breath hoping the loaf comes out perfectly.
Our last tip is letting the eggs come to room temperature. Room temperature eggs allow for the incorporation of air and sugar to volumize the bread.
- 2 cups (255 g) all purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups (255 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 T sour cream
- 1 T vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt and walnuts. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with whisk attachment, whisk sugar and eggs on medium speed until they are light, fluffy and an off white color. About 10 minutes.
- While waiting for the sugar and egg mixture to whip, mash bananas and add sour cream and vanilla extract.
- After 10 minutes, while still whisking, drizzle in vegetable oil.
- Reduce speed to low, carefully add the banana mixture.
- Remove mixing bowl from stand mixer and gently fold in flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 75-85 minutes. Time will be dependent on how large your bananas are. Be careful not to overbake.